Cannabis-infused oil is highly adaptable and can offer various health benefits. It's suitable for baking, cooking at low temperatures, direct oral consumption, or topical application.
Creating cannabis-infused oil involves two main steps:
First: Dry Cure Process
Related article: How to Decarb Your Weed in 3 Simple Steps
- Begin with clean, dry cannabis ‘shake’ or buds. Remove large stems, grind, and sift the cannabis to create a fine consistency.
- Cure the ground cannabis by either placing it in a sealed Crock-Pot on low heat for about an hour, or baking it in an oven at 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
Making Cannabis Infused Cooking Oil
The process for making cannabis-infused oil using a Crock-Pot involves a few key steps:
1. Preparing the Oil and Cannabis
- Begin by pouring 3 cups of Grapeseed oil into a Crock-Pot. Grapeseed oil is ideal due to its high heat tolerance, making it less likely to degrade under prolonged heating.
- Add 14 grams of your previously cured cannabis to the oil.
2. Cooking the Mixture
- Cook the mixture of Grapeseed oil and cannabis on a low heat setting for a duration of 1 to 5 hours. The cooking time can be adjusted based on your preference.
- The longer the mixture cooks, the more cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, are extracted from the cannabis into the oil. This means extended cooking times can increase the potency of the oil.
3. Straining the Oil
- After the cooking time is complete, be cautious with the hot oil. Allow it to cool down a bit for safe handling.
- Use a cheesecloth to strain the oil, ensuring all excess plant particles are removed.
4. Storing the Infused Oil
- Transfer the strained, clear oil into a dark-colored glass container. This type of container helps protect the oil from light, which can degrade its quality.
- Let the oil cool completely before sealing the container.
- Store the sealed container in the refrigerator. The cannabis-infused oil should remain good for use for years.
- This method allows for a controlled and customizable approach to making cannabis-infused oil, with the flexibility to adjust the potency and flavor according to individual needs and preferences..
Finally: Dosage Recommendation
When using the oil in baking or cooking, it's advisable to begin with a small dose, typically between 0.75 to 1 gram per serving. However, it's important to note that the effects of cannabis-infused oil can vary significantly from one person to another.
Due to this individual variability, a trial-and-error approach is recommended to determine the most suitable dosage for you. Start with the suggested amount and then gradually adjust it based on your personal experience and comfort level. As you become more familiar with the effects, you can consume the oil with greater confidence, tailoring the dosage to your specific needs and preferences.